Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating is a debilitating condition for many people. The sweating stains clothes, produce bad odour and is tremendously embarrassing at work/ social outings. It affects personal as well as professional life.
Hyperhidrosis can either be generalized, or localized to specific parts of the body. Hands, feet, armpits, and the groin area are among the most active regions of perspiration due to the high number of sweat glands in these areas. When excessive sweating is localized (e.g. palms, soles, face, underarms, scalp) it is referred to as primary hyperhidrosis or focal hyperhidrosis.
Excessive sweating involving the whole body is termed generalized hyperhidrosis or secondary hyperhidrosis. It is usually the result of some other, underlying condition.
Hyperhydrosis can be associated with:
- Bromhidrosis which means a foul odour due to a water-rich environment that supports bacteria growth, caused by an abnormal increase in perspiration specially in axillary area.
- Chromhydrosis: secretion of coloured sweat may be yellow, green, blue, brown or black
Dermatology life quality index (DQLI): It evaluates the impact of hyperhidrosis on daily activities. This score can be as high as 9/10 without treatment, indicating hyperhidrosis can cause severe impact on patient’s daily life.
SKINCITY PROTOCOL FOR HYPERHYDROSIS:
Skin City is the only centre in India to run a Zero Sweat Clinic providing the best possible solution for your excessive sweating depending on severity, area involved and patient’s social and professional requirement.
1) For underarms hyperhidrosis:
Laser sweat ablation: LSA:
At Skin City, we offer laser sweat ablation as a very effective and long lasting solution for hyperhidrosis.
The procedure is minimally invasive and done under local tumescent anaesthesia. The process involves making a small incision; then a laser thread is passed directly underneath the skin to destroy the sweat glands. The laser destroys the sweat glands. 1470 nm Diode laser technology is used.
Most people return to work the following day. There may be some soreness for a few days and the risks are minimal. The process eliminates or significantly reduces sweating in 80-100% patients.
The areas that can be treated effectively are: Underarms, Feet.
Since the sweat glands are destroyed completely, the effects are considered permanent.
Microwave therapy: miraDRY
After your underarm has been numbed and is ready to be treated, the clinician will place the hand piece directly on your skin, lining up with the temporary treatment template applied to your underarm.
Next, the hand piece is activated. You will feel a slight suction as your skin and glands are brought closer to the surface for maximum results.
Finally, miraWave TM energy is delivered and the sweat and odor glands are destroyed. All the while, soothing cooling is applied to protect your skin.
This therapy is very effective for underarm sweating and gives long lasting to permanent results.
Both miraDRY and LSA are walk in and walk out procedures giving very satisfactory results and making a big difference is patient’s personal, social and professional lives.
2) For palmer and facial(Gustatory) hyperhidrosis:
It is mainly used for palm plantar Hyperhydrosis and facial Hyperhydrosis. Botulinum toxin blocks neural control of sweat glands. The effect can last from 6–9 months depending on the site of injections. The duration of the beneficial effect in primary palmar hyperhidrosis has been found to increase with repetition of the injections.
3) For generalised hyperhidrosis:
- Antiperspirants: Aluminium chloride is used in higher concentration in antiperspirants required to control hyperhidrosis.
- Autosuggestion: Meditation , psychotherapy may help to some extent in stress induced hyperhidrosis.
- Medicines: Prescription medications called anticholinergics, taken by mouth, are sometimes used in the treatment of both generalized and focal Hyperhydrosis eg: propantheline, glycopyrronium bromide or glycopyrrolate, oxybutynin, methantheline, and benzatropine.
For more information click http://www.safelipoclinic.com
Laser Therapy for Underarm Sweating
Laser Sweat Ablation(LSA)