Whether your hair loss can be fixed by topical solutions or a minimally invasive transplant, knowledge is the key to understanding male hair loss. Learn more about the hair follicle, male pattern baldness, and find out which stage of hair loss you may be suffering from.
Hair Loss in Men Explained
Androgenetic alopecia (AGA) or male pattern baldness is the most common cause of hair loss. It is usually diagnosed based on the appearance and pattern of the hair loss. Male pattern baldness is usually identified by the conversion of thick terminal hairs into short, thin, vellus-like hairs.
The hair lifespan can be divided into three distinct phases: anagen (active growth), catagen (active loss), and telogen (resting).
- On a normal scalp, 90% of hair remains in the anagen phase – extending over a 3-year period.
- The catagen phase lasts between 2 to 3 weeks. This is where the hair separates from the dermal root, but stays in position with a thin strand of connective tissue.
- The telogen (resting) phase is where the basal attachment becomes unnaturally thin, resulting in the hair shaft falling out completely. Normally, hair remains in the telogen phase about 10% of the time and the phase lasts between 3 to 4 months.
Classification of Hair Loss in Men
- Class 1 represents a head of hair with no visible hair loss.
- Class 2 is characterized by the beginning of a receding hairline and some recession in the temple region.
- Class 3 patients exhibit a more significant decline in hair above the temples as well as receding from the forehead. In Class 3 Vertex, hair loss is starting to become significant on the crown.
- Class 4 hair loss may become more noticeable on the crown or patients may have significant hair loss above the temples and/or forehead.
- Class 5 hair loss affects the front and back of the scalp with only a small remnant of the front hairline remaining and a rather large area of hair loss on the top.
- Class 6 advanced hair loss where the hair bridging the two sides of the head is fading away or completely gone. There may still be sufficient donor hair for transplantation; however, results may be limited.
What Causes Hair Loss in Men?
Male hair loss can happen for a number of reasons, most of which are entirely out of your control. And while knowing the cause of your hair loss isn’t going to fix it by itself, recognizing the type of male hair loss you have is the first step in determining your ideal treatment plan.
Most causes of hair loss in young men can be attributed to one of the following reasons:
- Male Pattern Baldness (Androgenetic Alopecia)
- Scarring from accidents, surgery, chemical and thermal burns
- Hair loss due to hair pulling such as braiding or weaving.
- Heredity (family history of hair loss)
- Medical conditions and medications
- Changes in your hormones
Hair Loss Treatment for Men
When considering hair loss treatment for men the first stage in determining the optimal hair loss treatment option is the consultation process with one of our qualified doctors at Skin City. Depending on the outcome of this meeting, there are two possible courses of treatment for men suffering from hair loss.
- Hair Transplant
At Skin City, hair transplantation is performed in our completely well equipped operation theatre in sterile environment by our team of Hair transplant surgeons & anaesthetists. It has no downtime and is a walk-in and walk-out procedure. Patient is completely awake during the procedure and it is performed under local tumescent anaesthesia.
- Scalp Micro Pigmentation
Micro-pigmentation is a technique used to implant small amounts of pigment into the upper layer of the scalp in a dot or line pattern this creates an optical illusion of a full scalp even without hair restoration. This is a painless walk in- walk out procedure which takes a few hours and is performed without any anaesthesia. Skin City is one of the very few centres to launch this procedure.
Replace your hair the way you lost it, strand-by-strand. Enjoy the confidence of looking good again with the cutting-edge hair growth procedures at Skin City India. Imagine your own front hairline actually re-growing without anyone ever knowing you’ve any treatment. It’s real!
We’ve transformed thousands of patients till date. If you too would like to put a stoppage to your balding, contact Skin City today and schedule an appointment.