A Complete Guide to Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Follicular Unit, What Is It Exactly?
Hair Follicules are nothing but the strand of hair along with its roots. A simple process of replacing the hair follicles from the donor area to the recipient area is called hair transplant and one of the processes to do it is Follicular Unit Transplantation.
In this blog, we will dig deep into the Follicular Unit Transplantation procedure, the benefits and the risks and complications involved in this procedure along with the cost of undergoing this procedure.
Further Reading Everything You Need to Know About Hair Transplant
What is Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)?
Follicualr Unit Transplantation (FUT) is a type of hair transplant procedure in which a strip of skin that has intact hair follicles is taken from the back of the head that is usually called ‘permanent zone’. FUT Hair Transplants, or strip harvesting, is a popular hair transplant procedure.
Since a strip of scalp with hair follicles are taken, this procedure is also called strip surgery. After removing the strip each hair follicle is removed with the help of a microscope without damaging it.
When To Use FUT?
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) is a surgical procedure but is ideally suggested to people who fall under below-mentioned categories;
- There is not enough hair to perform other procedures like FUE
With hair loss an issue for both genders, both men and women can benefit from an FUT procedure. However, regardless of a desire to have surgery, patients should meet a number of basic criteria that will determine if they are indeed surgical candidates.
Is FUT Suitable For You?
Follicular Unit Transplantation ( FUT) is suitable for all people but in order to come to a concrete conclusion, we would advise you to take a consultation from the hair transplant doctor at SkinCity.
You need to be mindful that the FUT procedure will leave a linear scar on the back of your head which is the donor area. This scar will prevent you from cutting your hair very short or any hair cut styles that involve very short hair like “Crew Cut”. Such hair cuts will expose the scar and hence a hair not shorter than Level 3 or 4 is advised.
How Is Follicular Unit Transplantation Done?
After consultation with the doctor/surgeon and clarifying every query of the patient, the date and time of the session are decided and the procedure is conducted. Below is the step by step process of Follicular Unit Transplantation:
- At first, the densest area on the back of the head is identified which is also called the donor area.
- Then the doctor administers local anesthesia which will make the donor and nearby area numb so the patient does not feel any pain or very less pain
- The strip of scalp with follicular unit is then removed
- The hair transplant assistant then separates individual hair follicles with the use of a microscope
- Then a marked recipient area is given local anesthesia and specialized micro needle is used to insert the follicular units into the scalp
- Single hair units are placed at the front of the hairline
- Two hair units are then placed behind the hairline
- Three hair units are then placed behind two hair units
- Four hair units are then placed behind three hair units
- A maximum of 4000 hairs can be transplanted in a single session
- The surgeon then uses staples or stitches to cover the incision made in the donor area while removing hair follicles
Cost of FUT
The cost of FUT varies as per the patient and the area of baldness that needs to be covered. The cost is ideally calculated as per the size of the recipient area. The bigger the size, the more expensive the procedure. Also in some procedures, there would be multiple sessions that would be required to get the desired result.
Success Rate Of FUT
In recent research done it was observed that 90.26% of cases reported survival of implanted grafts. In 83.37% of cases reported no complications while merely 16.6% of cases reported some side effects.
In terms of satisfaction 59.5% rate the satisfaction as excellent while 40.5% rate the satisfaction as good. None of the patients had abnormal hairline.
Benefits of FUT
Follicular Unit Transplant term was first coined in 2002 by WillianRassman and is being used as one the most result-oriented procedure for close to two decades. Below mentioned are some of the benefits of FUT:
- Less operating time due to strip procedure compared to other procedure like FUE
- No need to shave back of the head hence less discomfort
- Better quality grafts compared to other procedures like FUE
- Baldness coverage in minimal downtime
FUT Complications, Risks & Side Effects Include
Just like any surgery, there is always an inherent risk. Although FUT is a very minimally intrusive process, there are still some complications that might arise due to the surgery. Below mentioned are some possible complications.
- Slow or poor growth might result from hair follicle damage
- Infection: Although very rare as antibiotics are prescribed, still there could be a chance
- Linear scar is visible on the back of the head in the donor area which is permanent
- Due to genetics, there is a possibility that the wound will not heal quickly and might be discomforting.
- Although very rare there is a chance of hyperpigmentation or darkening of skin post-surgery
Difference Between FUE & FUT Hair Transplants
You must have seen during your research that people often compare Follicular unit excision (FUE) with Follicular unit transplantation (FUT), and that’s because they are similar that they both offer completely natural-looking results. Both the procedures have their own set of advantages as well as risks and complication. If you want to have a side by side comparison between FUE & FUT, you can click here.
So to conclude Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) is a very effective and minimally invasive procedure that can give patient great result in terms of hair growth with minimum discomfort. Dr Niteen Dhepe insists on getting to know his patients before their procedure, making sure he provides a procedure that will give each one a natural look, and a hair transplant that will last them through their lifetime.
At SkinCity, we have an excellent record of successful FUT and FUE hair transplant procedures. To arrange a consultation please contact us, or call on +91 9890225577. You can also fill the form here to get a call from us.