How Can We Prevent Stretch Marks In Pregnancy?
Most women get stretch marks during pregnancy. They’re a sign that your skin has stretched as your body grows to accommodate your baby. They occur when skin distension is faster than new skin tissue production. The medical term is ‘striae gravidarum’, which is Latin for stripes of pregnancy. They are very common, and typically appear on the abdomen, breasts, thighs, buttocks, and even upper arms.
Genetics plays a role in whether you get stretch marks, and how visible they are. If you have fair skin they may be more visible. You are more likely to get them if you are a young mum, if you put on a lot of weight quickly during the pregnancy, or if you are expecting twins or multiples. Other indicators of susceptibility include if you’ve had these marks before being pregnant, or if other members of your family have them. Changes in hormone levels during pregnancy can also make the skin a little thinner, making some women more susceptible.
However, when you think of treating or preventing them from appearing, Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to completely to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy, and there’s no miracle stretch mark cream that makes them go away. Here are some ways to help reduce the risk of getting them, and to help minimize their appearance:
- Keep weight gain at a moderate amount (about 25 to 30 pounds), and try to gain this weight gradually over the course of the pregnancy. Following a healthy pregnancy diet will help.
- Drink lots of water.
- Keep going with your pregnancy exercise regimen.
- Avoid too much sun exposure.
- To help prevent stretch marks on your breasts, wear a well-fitting, supportive bra.
- While using moisturizers or Vit-E oils may not prevent stretch marks, they can help hydrate your skin and prevent itchy skin, a pregnancy symptom you might also notice as your skin stretches.
- Try to stay positive and happy as stress will compromise the circulation and nutrient supply of the skin. So, maintain a happy mood during pregnancy.
- Regular exercise and active daily routine maintain circulation of the skin. Incorporate in your daily routine as it will cover both stress and activity management.
Is it Possible to Get Rid of Stretch Marks After Pregnancy?
Stretch marks may not disappear totally, but after the pregnancy is over, they can eventually become a less noticeable silver colour. Indulging in a massage might help you relax and feel better, but be mindful of any misleading claims about the ability of any creams, lotions and oils to remove or prevent stretch marks.
You might be worried about the changes your body goes through as a result of pregnancy, but your body’s doing an incredible job protecting your little one as he gets ready to meet the world. These stripes are a testament to all you’ve done.
Stretch marks treatment at Skin City
Stretch marks were considered as the most difficult to treat skin problem, however the latest technologies available offer a ray of hope. Skin City has developed a unique combination protocol for the treatment of stretch marks. It combines Ultrapulse laser and Derma TransportTM using Enerjet JVR. One can expect amazing results with the combination treatment involving these excellent machines. Six to eight sittings are required for optimum results at 2 to 4 weeks interval.
With persistence, and the skill of our consultants, you should see a dramatic improvement in the appearance of your stretch marks. Since the procedure is non-invasive, it has no ‘down time’ to recover from and you can carry on working throughout the treatment period.