How to Sleep After FUE Hair Transplant
How To Sleep After FUE Hair Transplant?
Now that you have undergone the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) hair transplant surgery, you would be very excited to see the result. But please remember you need to take extra care post-operation especially during sleeping so that you get the best result.
Any lapses in taking care post-surgery could have some serious consequences like broken hair follicles or permanent scar of damages to the operated area. In this blog, we are going to understand how to sleep post-surgery and important do and don’t post hair transplant.
Sleeping Tips After Getting FUE
Sleep is again the most critical part of the hair transplant recovery. A proper safe and sound sleep can work wonders on your recovery time and in the same way a bad sleep can delay or even damage the recovery.
Hence we have come with some tips that can help you make the most of the sleep post hair transplant surgery:
1. Sleep On Your Side
The best position to sleep is to sleep on your side as opposed to sleeping flat as it can reduce the swelling is any and prevent any damage.
2. Staying Away From Bed Headboard
During the sleep, you need to make sure there is enough cushioning to shield you from the bed headboard as accidentally hitting it during sleep can damage the hair follicles
3. The Dark Sheet Under The Pillow
During the initial day’s post-surgery, there would be some fluid that would seep out of the scalp especially during sleep. Hence it is advised to have a dark sheet under the pillow so that you don’t have to worry about the pillow getting soiled.
4. Pillows To Be Stacked On Your Side
Stacking pillows on your side will help make sure that you do not roll over in sleep at night.
During the first 2 weeks, it is important to sleep in a bed with fresh sheets and pillows. You should not do any outdoor sleep activity like camping etc.
6. Air pillows
Many doctors recommend using air pillows or neck pillows as it keeps the head tilted and can further provide protection to the head during sleep.
There are some medicines that you can take to help you have a better sleep like Vicodin.
8. Hair wash
Hair wash must be done in the morning and never before going to sleep or in the night as the area is very sensitive at night and any activity on the scalp could make the hair follicles uproot from its place.
Dos and Don’ts After A Hair Transplant
As discussed above, sleep is one of the important things to take care of post-surgery but that’s not it. Below we have mentioned all the important dos and don’ts that you should meticulously follow to get the best result out of the hair transplant surgery.
A) Dos After Getting Hair Transplant
Below mentioned are some very important things that you need to actively do or follow to get the best result post hair transplant surgery.
- If you have been given a strong sedative then make sure you have someone to drive you home safely. Driving under the influence of sedative can be dangerous
- During the first week post the hair transplant, you need to sleep with your head elevated which will reduce the swelling of your head. The bed should be made in such a way that it keeps the head elevated. If you are not experiencing any swelling then you can sleep in the regular position
- In case of swelling, it is advised to apply ice above the eyebrow area which would help in reducing the swelling that generally occurs on the 3rd or 4th-day post-surgery.
- It is very important to be extra careful while taking a bath post-surgery atleast for the first 5 days. You should not scrub too much during the bath and also do not blast high-pressure water on your scalp.
- In case if your scalp is itching which is a common issue, you should apply conditioner gently.
- You can dye your hair but only before the surgery and not after that. Dying your hair doesn’t affect or have a negative effect.
- Hydration is a key post the transplant surgery. Be hydrated always with water or fluid
- Post-transplant it is normal for some hairs to fall off for the first 2 to 4 weeks after the procedure. But there is no need to panic as it is perfectly normal and part of the growth cycle. After they fall off the hairs tend to regrow again in about three months.
B) Don’ts After Getting Hair Transplant
Here we will discuss important things that you should not be doing post hair transplant surgery so that you get the best hair transplant result.
- Sleep position is a very important post-transplant surgery as a wrong position could destroy the hair follicles. You shouldn’t sleep flat on your tummy or side or rub your new hairline against a pillow
- Don’t panic when you experience swelling as it is normal to be in day 3 and 4 post the transplant surgery
- Don’t apply ice directly to the transplant areas of the scalp. The operated areas should not be touched by anything.
- Don’t remove the scab that forms on the scalp on the transplant area. The scab formation is pretty normal on the operated area and just like a scab that forms on the knee, after some time the scabs fall off naturally. Hence do not touch the operated area and let the scalp heal by itself.
- Don’t wash your hair for the first 48 hours
- Don’t scratch the scalp although it will be itchy post the operation for some time.
- Don’t try to cover the head with a hat or caps for the first three days. These 3 days are very sensitive and the scabs need to solidify and hence during this time do not touch the operated area or cover it.
- Don’t expose the scalp to direct sunlight for atleast 2 weeks. After 3 days you need to cover it with a hat wherever you go as the operated area should not be exposed to the scalp as sunburn can damage the new hair follicles.
- Don’t stress your body immediately after the surgery by performing an exercise or hitting the gym. Light cardio like walking or jogging is fine but nothing that makes your heart pump at a very high rate. Take rest as much as possible.
- Don’t undertake any activity that can cause you to sweat a lot as this can also adversely affect your operated area
- Alcohol consumption should be completely avoided for the first 5 days post-surgery and it can affect the blood supply to the head and affect the healing process
- Smoking should be avoided for atleast a month post the surgery as this too can affect the blood flow which can again affect the hair growth
So to summarize, it is very important to take extra care during initial days post hair transplant surgery as the operated area is in a delicate state. Most important is to take maximum rest and not do anything that could put stress on the operated area.
Do you still have any doubts about the hair transplant procedure and its after effect? Fix up an appointment with our experts to get a detailed plan . Skin City is India’s most trusted hair transplant clinic with the latest medical technologies and doctors with decades of experience. You can also fill in the form below to get a call back from us.