What’s the Difference between Botox and Dermal Fillers?
Despite having the right skincare regime, some feel the signs of ageing catching up early. Others are intrigued to know what else is on offer beyond simply using creams. However, if you want to turn back the hands of time and smooth out fine lines on the face, you may consider Botulinum toxin injections (aka Botox) and dermal fillers for a fresher, younger-looking complexion.
Let’s Get To Know “What Is Botox?” Aka- The Wrinkle Zapper
Botox is a purified form of the botulinum toxin that is obtained from bacteria. Though it is deadly in larger amounts, the tiny, regulated amount of Botox can do wonders. Botox works by blocking nerve signals in the muscles where it is injected. When those nerve signals are interrupted, the affected muscle is temporarily paralyzed or frozen. Without movement of these selected muscles in the face, certain wrinkles may be softened, reduced, or even removed. Essentially, Botox is for treating lines and wrinkles and fillers work for loss of volume.
What Are Dermal Fillers? – The Volumizers
As we age, collagen and elastin in the skin break down. At the same time, fat compartments lose volume and become thinner, particularly in the upper half of the face. The facial skeleton changes due to bone loss at strategic sites such as the mid- face and orbital bone around the eye. These factors combined result in skin sagging, and prominent skin creases such as nose‑ to‑ mouth lines (nasolabial fold) and jowl formation. This volume loss cannot be addressed by Botox and requires dermal fillers to fill or plump out the areas that have effectively become deflated.
What’s The Difference Between Botox And Dermal Fillers?
To understand what Injectables do, it’s important to understand what happens to the aging face. How wrinkled you get is partly genetic, but mostly determined by exposure to the sun. Sun exposure weakens the collagen and elastic tissue of the skin, which causes sagging and wrinkling. Over the years, the face also loses volume from a natural decrease in bone and fat that happens as we age.
To help minimize the visible effects of aging, botulinum toxin injections and dermal fillers serve different purposes:
- Botulinum Toxins soften lines by preventing muscles from contracting when we talk, chew or make facial expressions. This can cause a slightly less animated look in the face when expressing emotions, especially when administered by someone who is not well trained in the latest techniques.
- Dermal fillers smoothen out wrinkles and plump up “hollowed out” areas of the face, such as in the cheeks where facial volume has been lost during the aging process. They can also help smooth scars and plump lips.
What Botox Can Treat?
- Forehead Lines: These develop over a period of time and can be visible in your twenties. Botox injected into key sites in the forehead will ease the lines.
- Frown Lines: Frown lines, or famously known as the ‘number 11’, lines, are vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows. Often Botox injected into these sites in the frown area will treat it fine.
- Crow’s Feet: these occur due to the effects of smiling over the years; they become more prominent in your late 20s to early 30s and can also be effectively treated with Botox.
- Other Ues: Botox can help with ‘smoker’s lines’ around the mouth, jaw slimming and facial contouring, teeth grinding (bruxism), migraine and excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis).
Botox Side Effects
Potential Botox side effects include:
- Pain at the injection site
- Bleeding and bruising
Some of these symptoms may indicate an allergic reaction; other allergy symptoms are itching, wheezing, asthma, a rash, red welts, dizziness and faintness.
The cost of Botox Cosmetic injections varies from one place to another and from one practitioner to another, so you can speak to our specialist for costing.
Some practitioners charge by the number of units injected, while some practitioners may charge up to INR 700- INR 1000 per unit. Some practices charge by the “zone.” For example, the frown lines would be one zone, the crow’s feet another zone and the forehead yet another zone.
What Fillers Can Treat?
- Facial sagging, lines and loss of volume: Fillers brilliantly treats facial sagging, lines and even chin augmentation.
- Lip augmentation: Hyaluronic acid fillers are used most commonly and when injected into the lips can enhance shape, structure or volume. Filler can be used around the mouth to correct this.
- Hand rejuvenation: as we get older, our hands tend to form a sunken appearance, and bones, tendons and veins become more visible. Filler containing calcium hydroxylapatite is commonly injected into the backs of the hands.
Dermal Fillers Side Effects
The following side effects — which tend to occur around the injection site — can be immediate, but usually clear within 7 to 14 days:
Dermal Fillers Cost
Cost is always a consideration in elective procedure or treatment. The cost of dermal filler injections may vary based on the expertise and qualifications of the person performing the treatment, the type of procedure used, time and effort the procedure or treatment requires, as well as the geographic location of the office.
Your satisfaction involves more than a fee.
Why Choose Skin City For Botox & Dermal Fillers?
Whatever you decide to have done, you will have a meeting with our skin specialist who’ll fully understand your medical history and reasons for wanting the treatment. With Botox, you probably won’t need a local anaesthetic. Your skin will be cleaned and botulinum toxin injected into the muscles of your face. The number and location of the injections will depend on the area you want to treat. The injections are mildly uncomfortable and the whole treatment will take around 10 minutes.
If you are having dermal fillers, you may be offered a local anaesthetic. Treatments take between 30 minutes and an hour and the practitioner may massage the area during treatment.
What Outcome Can You Expect?
We suggest that with Botox, you’re likely to get a more youthful appearance after a few days. The effect will last for between four and six months. If you have dermal fillers, your face may be a little swollen, tender and red for 24 hours. During that time, you may be advised to avoid coffee, alcohol, hot drinks and the sun. Depending on the filler used, the effects can start to wear off after three months. After a couple of days, you should look smoother and seemingly more ‘youthful’.
Skin City is home to a team of the most respected and talented cosmetic doctors and clinicians. We specialize in non invasive cosmetic treatments like wrinkle treatments, dermal fillers, skin and anti-ageing, with a strong emphasis on laser and skin rejuvenation. We welcome you to explore our services and find your fabulous self. Schedule an appointment at our nearest clinics today!